3 April 2009

You can make it, if your try




'm a bit restless. I should be working, really, I actually need to, but I can't sit still as I have amazing music pumping through extremely bad speakers:

Firstly,
Fanfarlo
There seems to be a lot of music out there that just warms you up, some how in one way or another, like Fleet Foxes or Arcade Fire. Fanfarlo is London based, which seems to be it really. London just produces all this music, all this noise that just seems to be excellent. Then you wonder whats wrong with your city. Aren't we meant to be the creative, festival state? Fanfarlos music is beautiful layers of sound, with strong beats and soaring sounds. Really worth a look, I rather love "I'm a Pilot" and they toured with Snow Patrol...kind of what I was getting at.


We must eat the same cereal. That R2D2 was firmly wedged on my pencil for the greater part of Year 5. Heck, I was a cool cat.

Maximo Park have just released their first video from their new album, 'Quicken the Heart'. The song takes a while to settle, but its a catchy tune and Paul Smith is a brilliant show man. 'The Kids are Sick Again'. Hope to hear the rest of the record soon.

White Lies are another band breaking into the scene (gigs with fellow new comer Florence and the Machine) from London (snap). They're reminiscent of Joy Division/ New Order and Echo and the Bunnymen, and rather a bit depressing too, song simply named 'Death'.'Death' is very 80's to me, oddly reminding me of the Cars 'You're Just What I Needed', so I guess not too depressing. The music is infused with electro and beautiful lyrics. Especially obvious in 'Unfinished Business' I do suggest you check them out. In the sense...mush!

The Lowly Knights, another band who toured with Snow Patrol (its a bit of a theme this month. I feel a bit numb really, its all over! And I have this desperate sense of wanting to go to Ireland, North or South. Just to do something. This music makes it a bit better really.). The music is truly inspirational and sounds like something they should play and the end of an indie, heart warming movie. Perhaps the protagonist looking out the window of a train as she, because of course, a female, leaves her home town...something like that.

My latest news includes a certain New Zealand duo. The other day whilst tuning into the excellent Triple J, the song 'Inner City Pressure came on'. I thought, Pet Shop Boys, immediately. Then I thought, "shit, what is wrong with their lyrics?". Honestly it was not until Jermaine entered (and even then I was still under the impression that Pet Shop Boys were hard up for cash) that I sort of understood. I felt like a complete twat. Check out the song here, very, very funny. I look forward to their new season.

I just finished reading "The Gathering" by Helen Enright and I thoroughly suggest you should read it. The book touches on many taboo subjects in a thoughtful, touching way, a sense of care.

I am looking very much forward to going to the cinemas to see 'Let the Right One In' (the anti-Twilight apparently) and 'The Boat that Rocked', because we all love a bit of Bill Nighy.

Plus! My mother just presented me with a Pretenders record, Brass in Pocket, Police- Zenyatta Mondatta and Bangles- Different Light. All I really need now is a record player. I hear thats kind of essential.

No comments: