2 December 2008

The magical, green cat

Haven't blogged in a while. I think I've developed this thing called "a life". Perhaps, maybe I'm just still lazy.

Last week was work experience, which was strangely highly insightful. I shall give you a brief run through:

Day One: Given desk. Desk had bottle of honey tucked behind the computer, I thought not to question, just to stare continuously and think of the many possibilities of its use. Briefing on company and orientation. Told that I would not be a slave and be told to make coffee. This sucked due to the fact I practisced making coffee for this. Tried to remember everyones names after giving my "firm handshake" that I worked on.Everyone had names like George and Fred, I failed and just nodded some what convincingly (most likely not convincing, more like nodding head and backing away slowly)Edited video on Cambodian monkeys. Discovered the wonders of free milo.

Day Two: Met more people, shook more hands. Created a diagram to remember names. Felt pathetic in doing so and chucked it out. Sneezed continuously but felt embarrassed to blow nose so kept sniffing. Realised this was annoying so kept tissue on nose. Realised this looked unprofessional. Went to bathroom and blew nose. Was sent home with a nice "I think you should go home". Left but not before pressing the free milo button a few times. Anarchy!

Day Three: Given breifing on everything about photojournalism. Made a cup of tea yet burnt lips thus having no feeling in them for the rest of the day. Researched photos taken in Adelaide, statement "no results were found". Went out for dinner with friends. Felt all professional asking "how was work?"

Day Four: Went on photography trip to a golf press conference. Was meant to photograph famous golfers in front of their scoreboards. Instead photographed a fly attached to a maggot on the green grass. These were later presented to my minder, perhaps more interesting than the press conference. "You have a broken arm. How does this affect you?" "mmmm...Let me ponder on this extremely obvious question"

Day Five: Mumbai attack. Enormous story. People shouting at screens. Stressed out of their mind. More cigarette breaks than usual (everyone smokes. I mean everyone.) Scared out of my mind. Read every story on anything to do with current events/trends/news on the internet to keep out of the way. Said my goodbyes. Went out with friends. Fell asleep at dinner table due to my raging partying ways. Woo!

I decided that I have ages to decide my life. I am interested in so many things and I know this is cliche and as they say, once you have to make money you change you'll change your mind but here it goes, "I'm not in it for the money". My plans in year seven consisted of nothing but a badly drawn picture of a magical cat with an arrow pointing to it, "green" it said. I can't remember if I was taking the piss, angry due to the school insisting "think of you're future speech" of if I was serious. I really, really hope I wasn't serious.

And now brings on Christmas. I should've said this earlier. Christmas decorations were put up on November 1st. Like that of an About a Boy re-run (I'm up to 26- its not obsession its just a really, really good movie) I claimed "November the 1st. November the fucking 1st!". Halloweens over and Christmas rolls in, its not holidays its just marketing. After all, as my friend stated yesterday:

"Christmas is about getting presents and a little bit about Jesus".

Now I'm not particularly religious but what is wrong with the world? I blame coca-cola and its creation of the overweight, bearded man in the red suit wearing fur lining who sneaks into our house, steals our food and has young children sitting on its lap, leaving gifts to woo young boys and girls alike. In normal terms, this man would be an eccentric weirdo, prosecuted for a number of violations against the law. Instead we praise him, encourage kids to contact him and make films about him. Its all rather sick and I am thankful that due to my older brother, dear old Santa Claus didn't exist for very long.

I guess its just because we're the consumer culture, nothing else matters. Yet perhaps life could turn out to be a Hallmark movie were we rejoice in the spirit of giving with shiny white teeth and hidden religious undertones. I'd probably hate that too but at least I'd feel some what holy.

Although, getting in the true Christmas spirit I lugged at two metre pine tree home on the public bus the other day. Usually we get out this old crappy plastic thing that after 7 years has begun to disintegrate and has lost most of its branches. On the spur of the moment, seeing these trees we bought one. So now this beautiful tree sits staring back at me and I feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Its nice.

No comments: