7 July 2009

Pretend you never went to school


Well, the Hottest 100 of all time, hosted on Triple J has officially started and I am preeeeeetttyy excited! Bon Iver- Skinny Love, Take Me Out- Franz Ferdinand, Common People- Pulp, No Woman No Cry- Bob Marley and the Wailers and Wolf and Me- TV on the Radio have already featured so I'm looking forward to the next 80.

My shortlist was so:
Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart
David Bowie - Heroes
The Clash - Straight To Hell
The Smiths - What Difference Does It Make?
The Cure - Boys Don't Cry
Pulp - Do You Remember The First Time?
The Go-Betweens - Finding You
The Verve - Bittersweet Symphony
Snow Patrol - Same
The Jam - That's Entertainment

I'm hoping that my 'Love will Tear Us Apart' will make number one, but I wouldn't mind where it gets. Pulp has already featured, so I'm pretty happy. Hoping for a few Clash, Cure and Smiths song and hopefully one Bowie. I don't think Snow Patrol will feature but due to my loyalty, and love of their work, voted for a pretty odd favorite. off Final Straw 'That's Entertainment' should make it, but I don't think it will, the same with The Go-Betweens, despite their amazingness. The Verve's song is practically an anthem, so I'd be surprised if it doesn't feature but who knows. A few heavy metal songs, or metal I guess, are featuring but its good to feature everyones different tastes.

Looking over other peoples choices I feel like I've left out so many good bands, The Beatles, for one, who forgets the classics?! 'Come Together' has already featured and I'm expecting a lot more. I forget a lot of favorites stupidly, Echo and the Bunnymen, Crowded House (I think i shortlisted 'World Where you Live' but chose over it), Dire Straits ('Romeo and Juliet'),.Otis Redding ('Try a Little Tenderness') and Coldplay. 'Yellow' has already made the list and it was quite beautiful so stare at my roof whilst it played on the radio. I'm hoping 'Shiver' will get in, I love that song, despite Chris Martin calling it 'constructed', or something like that. Roxy Music! Argh! The Pogues! And what about 'Dancing in the Dark', cor!

'Cigarettes Will Kill You' by Ben Lee (first album the best album in this case) will hopefully get it as well as 'Brick' by
Ben Folds Five, both classics to me. Plus The Killers! Whoops! I'm guessing...'Mr Brightside'? I hope for 'Jenny was a Friend of Mine', favorite song. Urgh! Forget that? 'Never Tear Us Apart' - INXS, classic, not forgetting my love of Badly Drawn Boy, Madness -'Our House', New Order-'Temptation', Nina Simone- 'Sinner Man', Aretha Franklin- 'You'll lose a good thing', or the obvious, 'R.E.S.P.E.C.T', The Pretenders, THE POLICE! Oh gosh! There's so many! But of course, I guess after so many, many, mannnny years of music there would have to be over a million songs and over a thousand artists! Well, I look forward to the rest of the countdown and by posting this I HAVE PROOF if one of my shortlisted songs actually get in. Please, please, please! But looking over all that I could've chosen, I probably would've gone insane. Oh and Elbow!

Well, music rant over. I'm just going to go hold myself in the corner now, thanks.

2 comments:

Syed said...

Oh my, I would have such a difficult time coming up with my shortlist! Bittersweet Symphony is SO amazing, and I really do love Joy Division.

P.S. You're officially down on the project list dear :)

Unknown said...

i feel extremely uncool reeading your blog, not because its uncool but because it proves that i am stalkerishly obsessed with you, and that sounds wierd, very wierd. anyway just wanted to point out that 'i believe in a thing called love' should be on your list :) actually i was in a store the other day and it came on and i unconscioulsy started singing along, that is untill i noticed all the stares, totally mortifying, but secretely they were all just in awe of my awesomeness! :)