16 October 2008

I'm talking about peace of mind

"In the high school of Australia, Tasmania lurks down by the bins, watching beautiful Melbourne and Sydney laugh and frolic, hoping the even weird kid Adelaide will sit next to it at lunchtime" - Justin Heazlewood

So thats what we are? Weird kid Adelaide? I understand that this piece is being derogatory to Tasmania, but please, weird kid Adelaide? At least Tasmania is the mutt of the pack and people at least know it. Adelaides the weird one that no one know about, thats meek and mild relying upon penguins for tourism. When a cab driver asked me where I was from, I joyfully announced "Adelaide" to a response of "in Africa? Arr..". Shocked, I mumbled, "no..Australia?" (wondering if such was also known). To which he happily told me his son lives in Perth, as do most taxi drivers have done since. I am amazed how many cab drivers have sons or family in Perth. The figures are outstanding, 4 out of 5 times I tell you. The money must be good, if everything falls out and I can't even get a job driving baggage around at airports (which the only real thrilling thing is the understated power of driving those buggies and beeping at those ponces in first class) I will become a cab driver. I may not have job satisfaction but at least the moneys good. I am chronically lost in about every place I ever go to but I can work around this.

So Adelaide, its the place known for churches and old people and thats about it. I know this due to the creativity of the students in my year who constantly repeat this fact as their number one insult to me and my home town. Yet, surprisingly, you ignorant fools, there is more to Adelaide. Why yes, we are the creepy murder capital of the world, as quoted by "Dexter", we own Italian Spiderman and Vampire lawyers and...wine. Inspired? I know I am.

When asked why was I coming back, Adelaide must seem like a hole to Singapore, I said "no, Adelaide has nice...lighting"

And thats all I could think of.

Truthfully I do love my little hole, I love the weird ones, just not Tasmania, they're all inbred.

2 comments:

doctawho42 said...

Dexter? Did Dexter actually, fo shiz mention us? wow...
Adelaide is the weird kid, the weird quiet, serene, secretly about to snap kid. I kinda like it.

Befuddled said...

You're back then?
Nice post but an email would be nice. Very nice indeed. Or, maybe you didn't go any where you were just ignoring me?