10 September 2008

I Let the Melody Shine

I used to rate how good a day would be depending on the music that came onto my MP3 player in the morning. It was a bad way to determine the quality of a day, that my day would be exceptional if "Friday I'm in Love" came on on a Friday, the equivalent of a triple bonus, but terrible if "That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore" came on anytime. So you can imagine how I felt when this song came on when I switched on.

Like "Sexxlaws", I remember this song from my youth, but in an entirely different manner. There were many songs that when played bring back memories, mostly the alternative 90's, probably my brothers ritual of buying the Triple J's hot 100 helped. I would sit and listen to this song on repeat, mouthing Ashcroft's crooning voice and nodding my head like in a trance. It was pretty deep.

Throughout my time here this song has been played on repeat, like a constant reminder of my childhood. It was my choice of picture for picture-nairy (a bunch of men with violins with sad little faces, representing bitter. Oddly enough it was guessed straight away giving me the boost to pursue a career in art), the song I played at my last ever Christmas in Adelaide, the song I wept to holding my bed for comfort, the only song my best friend and I could sing together, the song I attempted to play for my group performance in Year 8, the song that I ranted about, bagging out Jagger and Richards for their theft, during my summer and still the song I nod my head to whilst mouthing Ashcroft's words.

I felt happy.

2 comments:

doctawho42 said...

Its a great song. I've loved it for ages as well, JJJ. In the clip, he reminds me, in looks, attitude and strutty walk of the 9th Doctor. You thinking what I'm thinking B1?

cheshirecat said...

i could do with some doctor right now.

and now

and practically any time, but pref. the tenth.