18 August 2008

Camp as a Row of Tents

So camp, the event that we await for a whole year has now finished. Theres this odd build up towards the event, having to decide groups, what to pack, who to have in your room, i failed at all of these and managed to have most people do them for me, or cram my bag at 1 am the night before leaving.

Though I knew what to pack exactly due to the presentation I had to prepare on What to Pack. To make it slightly more interesting I created Bernard the Happy Camper (wondering if anyone would realise the slight inside joke). I finally finished the presentation but had to skip the showing due to other engagements. The presentation was full of jokes about bring your camera for those awesome myspace shots, and such things, poking fun at the modern generation and making Bernard quite obviously..camp. When asking my friends did anyone laugh she said that everyone did, she asked, why did it matter. I said, because i made it and wondered if anyone understood it. She exclaimed, "oh! You made it, everyone thought someone else did it!" She then told me how everyone thought this one boy in our class who is as thick as two short planks, actually no, bordering on one very small plank, who most of the comments could be directly aimed at was getting the fame, my fame! I finally get a hint of being noticed and someone else takes it. So great just great, keeping my hidden frustrations, well, hidden I packed at 1 am and came to the Budget terminal. Just incase you wanted to hide the fact you catch budget you are taken on a round about course to the terminal where a giant sign stating BUDGET in bright blue is underlined. So much for that.

Arriving at the aiport i had come in "adventure" clothing, like you were meant to, the sensible stuff your meant to bring to camp where you'll be trekking through the Australian Outback. Now, why'd i think everyone else would do that? Everyone else came in skinny jeans, ballet flats, tight tops, short shorts, you know, the sensible stuff. And there I was in a loose white shirt, baggy jeans and what looked like bowling shoes (i was assured they were very in at the moment, they were only 20 dollars, so what the heck), to make matters worse i chose the crap line so everyone was able to marvel in my attempt to dress properly.

This theme continued throughout the entire camp. One night in particular a girl decided to walk around in Ugg Boots, she bought knee high ugg boots to camp. The next night she worse a faux fur hoodie to dinner, carefully placing her hair on the outside of the hood, for this reason my friend and I now call her Icelandic whore as she resembled the cover of an Icelandic pop CD i bought, which was oddly in the 5 dollar bargain bin. But why is this unusual fashion statements occurring, for one simple reason, simple being the truth, boys.

Before leaving the airport my parents thought it would be funny to act like the outrageous parents who cry as their kids leave for a week (when really they were leaving on a plane flight two hours later for my brothers graduation and would arrive back a day later), so leaning against the glass my parents banged on the windows and pretended to cry. To this I told my friend, "this may explain a few things", she nodded, we had an understanding.

Basically, camp is an enormous flirt fest, lets just get this straight, everyone geared up, hormones on the rage and the close proximity of boys sleeping JUST, RIGHT, THERE, causes most girls to go slightly insane. I don't know if its a good or bad thing that i don't get so hyped, jumpy, jumpy, whoop whoop, but thats just not me, I can't get excited after having an older brother who would ask me to pull his finger or simply fart without the courtesy of asking me to pull his finger, that memory haunts me forever and may explain, also, "a few things".

Its pretty sad when its come to the state where girls bring two outfits to a camp out for one night, one outfit being skinny jeans, just so a guy notices them when really you know they only care about the hot dog they're eating or the amazing V Drink that they claim is "pleasure in a can", see girlies, thats their pleasure, not your deformed bum jeans.

Besides that going to Darwin was a really fantastic experience, we were allowed more freedom than usual which was a bonus too. Until one night when we went outside the perimeters (basically to Coles and back) and had the following situation happen.

Walking along the street with two other friends a grown man came up and started asking for money, stupidly my friend stated we had no money as our shopping bags overflowed with our newly purchased items including, them: Chips, soft drink, red skins, ICM's and the complete opposite of mys Me: Organic fruit bars, glucose free, natural flavours and colouring and suitable for Vegetarians (yes, i have reached a new level of cool) the man followed us down the street till another older man started swearing at us. Retreating we walked down the street till we came to a safer part of town where my friend claimed "Don't worry guys, I know Kung Fu"

Ahh..Now i was safe.

No comments: